Sunderland Culture - Creative Elements

Creative elements 

In Celtx i was able to use there script feature to write my first script for my documentary about growing up in the North east. I began with writing how i wanted each set to look and what questions I was going to give to the interviewee.           I split up the interview in different sections to be able to give me the idea how I am going to edit and present the documentary. I added in short scenes, clips and overlays I was going to add in order to remind me to film these clips while other give me the structure how the final product should be.

Growing up in the North East Script

EXT. NEWCASTLE MONUMENT 
A black screen with people talking, Title board slowly appears onto the screen, blocked writing with images of the past and present of the Northeast. The background slowly fades into the same images shown in the title which is the Newcastle monument.

 NARRATOR The True Northeast of England is normally forgotten to the rest of the country, lets remind them what it once was and what it will become. Scene pans to the sky. 

EXT.SUNDERLAND Scene pans down from the sky and falls onto the Sunderland winter gardens.

 NARRATOR Sunderland, known for it's football team and how they invented glass making in the late century. But what else is it known for? Scene pans down to left and the green bridge is seen in the frame. 
NARRATOR What else can we stand for... or become?

 INT. INTERVIEW ROOM 
Starts in the interview room with interviewee and interviewer, Both sat opposite from each other.
 
NARRATOR What are your thoughts on the Northeast? 
INTERVIEWEE 1 (Natural answer from interviewee) 
NARRATOR How would you describe growing up in the Northeast is like? 2. 
 INTERVIEWEE 1 (Natural Answer) That's how it was .
Overlays of places around the Northeast are shown such as council estates, dirty streets and rubbish on the floor. 
EXT.SUNDERLAND Scene fades from image of Sunderland before. People walking around Sunderland area. Overlay voice - Slowly fades 

NARRATOR What's your opinion on Sunderland? 
INTERVIEWEE 2 (Talk about opinion) 
NARRATOR Why do you think this way?

 INT. INTERVIEW ROOM
 Voice over carry's over to Interviewee talking in the same interview room before.
NARRATOR How was education for you growing up? 
INTERVIEWEE 3 Real answer and reaction 
INT. LIVING ROOM HOUSE
 See children running about the living room in school clothes. One at the dinning room table doing her homework while talking to her mother. 
CHILD 1 This is to hard, Can you not do it 
PARENT It can't be that hard, Pass it hear 
Child 1 passes the homework to the parent, 
Parent is about to answer but it shocked of how hard the homework is. 
PARENT This is your homework? 
CHILD 1 Yeah, Mr Clarke set it to see if we learnt anything in class. 
Parent places down the paper on the table and looks at the child. 
PARENT This was not like when I was growing up. 

INT. INTERVIEW ROOM 2 Interviewee 1 Sitting in a new interview room, facing interviewer. NARRATOR What was it like for you growing up? Education wise? 
INTERVIEWEE 1 Well... It was very different than now 

INT. INSIDE HOUSE Children running about the house playing with each other. One child sitting at the dinning room table doing homework.

CHILD 1 Can you help me do my homework? 
PARENT Sure, what the homework then? 
CHILD 1 Math homework 
PARENT Lets see it then 
Gets handed the piece of paper by the child and starts to read it. 
PARENT What on earth is this? 
CHILD 1 Math homework, Mr Pace gave it Parent looks very confused at the homework given to the child. 4. 
INT. INTERVIEW ROOM 2
 Interviewee 2 sitting in the chair across from interviewer
 INTERVIEWEE 3 Even my parents couldn't figure it out my homework. 
NARRATOR Do you think we need to change that? 
INTERVIEWEE 3 I completely agree, We do really need to change not just in the Northeast but the whole country. The amount of pressure we put kids under is ridiculous. 
NARRATOR Do you think the education in the Northeast is neglected due to use not begin well known the rest of the country? 
INTERVIEWEE 3 I think it plays a big factor into it as we aren't known and many people don't know about us
 INT. INTERVIEW ROOM Interviewee 1 sitting in the chair with the same background. 
NARRATOR Do you believe that class effects how you grow up? 
INTERVIEWEE 1 Oh, definitely. It changes a lot for people. Since the northeast is mainly working class, it is very different from down south. Class unfortunately will always be a factor into education due to many family barely having the minimum to pay for school uniforms or school lunches. 5. 

NARRATOR How do you feel about the situation? 
INTERVIEWEE 1 I feel terrible and helpless since I can not help them. Children deserve to have an excellent education.
 Overlays of clips of Estates in Northeast begin showed while interviewee 1 speaks
EXT. ESTATES Scene shows the estates all around Sunderland and Newcastle. Kids playing in the park. 
NARRATOR How Do you feel about the play ground? 
CHILD 1 I really like it but most of the play frames have been taken away cause of stupid people. NARRATOR How do you feel about growing up here? 
CHILD 1 (Real Life answer) 

INT. RECORDING STUDIO
Show Narrator in the recording studio talking into the mic and facing the camera. 
NARRATOR Everything has changed and still changing, we must change alongside it or we will not become better. The Northeast will be great but we have to. Ending Sequences

For my new idea script - growing up in the North east - 70s Version I simply just decided to write down the questions I was going to ask. I did not plan a certain answer or response from the interviewee as I wanted real answers and stories instead of scripted ones for the audience to get more a sense what it was like. 

Growing up in the North east - 70s Version

Opening Sequence

First sequence - Introduction to documentary

Narrator

Growing up in the Northeast - 70S Version

(Pause)

Made by Jasmine McNeil

INT. inside terrace house - midday

Norman, interviewee, sitting on the couch left of the frame with picture frames on the windowsill of his dad, grandchildren and wife. 

Norman

Hi, I'm Norman Weatherburn and I was apart of the Chester aggro boys

Interview question

What was like in the 70s?

What was a skinhead?

What was a hairy?

What was the fashion of a skinhead?

Was football a big part of growing up?

What was it like at a football match in the 70s?

What was the music like in the 70s?

EXT. Newcastle Football stadium - St James Park

Newcastle Ladies VS Bradford City Football Match on 18th April 2023.

Football is a big part of growing up in the Northeast. Young girls and boys excited to see any match they can. Newcastle was a big part of Norman's life growing up, he was taken to every Newcastle as a young boy by his Father, William Weatherburn. As soon as he joined the chester agrro boys he joined them in the strawberry pub outside the stadium waiting for a fight.

When writing this script I decided to write the interview questions in a lost of what I was going to ask Norman in order. This helped me while recording as I was able to look at the script and see the order I need to ask the questions in which is very helpful to me while editing.


Comments

Popular Posts